If you're searching for a rental property, you're likely aware of how competitive the market can be. A rental application cover letter is an excellent way to introduce yourself to a prospective landlord, explain why you'd be a great tenant, and set yourself apart from the other applicants.
In this blog, we'll provide tips on writing the perfect rental application cover letter and answer some commonly asked questions to help you secure your dream rental property.
What should I say on a rental application?
A rental application typically includes personal information, such as your name, contact details, employment history, and references. However, a rental application cover letter allows you to provide additional information about yourself that might not be included in the standard application.
Your rental application cover letter, on the other hand, should be a brief introduction to yourself and why you would be the ideal tenant for the property. Be sure to mention:
- Why you're interested in the property and what drew you to it
- Your rental history, including any positive feedback from previous landlords
- Your employment status and income
- Any additional information that could be relevant to the landlord's decision, such as pets, roommates, or special requirements (always be forthcoming)
How do you make yourself stand out for a rental?
Competition for rental properties can be fierce, so it's essential to make yourself stand out from the other applicants. Here are some tips on how to do that:
- Contact the landlord or property manager before submitting your application to introduce yourself and express your interest in the property
- Your rental application cover letter is an excellent opportunity to showcase your strengths, such as your reliable income or previous positive rental history
- If you have the financial means, offering to pay rent in advance can show the landlord that you're financially responsible and committed to this property in particular
- If you don't have a lot of rental history, consider providing additional references, such as character references or letters of recommendation
What do landlords look for in a tenant?
When considering rental applications, landlords look for tenants who are reliable, responsible, and financially stable. They want tenants who will pay rent on time, take care of the property, and be respectful to their neighbours. Landlords typically consider the following factors when evaluating rental applications:
- Do you have a positive rental history with previous landlords?
- Do you have a stable job with a reliable income to support the rent payments?
- Do you have a good credit score, indicating you're financially responsible?
- Do you have references from previous landlords or employers that vouch for your reliability and responsibility?
- Do you have a criminal record or history of eviction that could be a red flag?
How do you get accepted for a rental property?
To increase your chances of getting accepted for a rental property, be prepared and organised. Here are some tips to help you stand out from other applicants:
- Have your rental application cover letter (and associated documentation) prepared in advance
- Be sure to include all necessary information and references
- Make a good impression during the property inspection by dressing appropriately and being respectful
- Follow up with the landlord or property manager after the inspection to express your continued interest in the property and ask any questions you may have
- Be honest and transparent in your application and during any interviews or conversations with the landlord or property manager
- Offer to provide additional information or references, if needed
- Consider offering to sign a longer lease or pay rent in advance, if possible and appropriate
How do I write a cover letter for a rental?
A rental application cover letter should be professional, concise, and to the point. Your goal is to make a great first impression, so be sure to:
- Address the landlord or property manager by name
- Introduce yourself and explain why you're interested in the property
- Provide relevant details about your rental history, employment, and income
- Be polite and professional throughout the letter
- Close by thanking them for their time and consideration
Remember to proofread your letter before submitting it to ensure there are no errors or typos.
How do I make my rental application cover letter stand out?
To make your rental cover letter stand out, consider the following tips:
- Tailor your cover letter to the specific property and landlord, and mention any specific features or qualities that drew you to the property
- Add a personal touch, such as a brief story about why you're interested in the property or how you've been searching for a rental property for a long time
- Emphasise any relevant strengths, such as your rental history or steady income, that make you a desirable tenant
- Keep your cover letter to one page and use clear, concise language to communicate your message effectively
- Ensure there are no typos, spelling errors, or grammar mistakes in your letter
How can I increase my chances of getting a rental property?
In addition to writing an excellent rental application cover letter, consider the following tips to increase your chances of getting a rental property:
- Begin your search well in advance of when you need to move to allow yourself plenty of time to find the right property and landlord
- Consider properties that might not be your first choice in terms of location, size, or amenities, as they may have fewer applicants and be more affordable
- Gather all necessary documentation, such as pay stubs, bank statements, and references, in advance to be ready to submit in conjunction with your application
- Submit your application as soon as possible after inspecting the property to show your interest and commitment to the property
- If the landlord has multiple applicants, be prepared to negotiate on rent, lease terms, or other details to make your application more competitive
Why does my rental application keep getting rejected?
There are several reasons why a rental application may be rejected, including:
- Poor credit history or low credit score
- Insufficient income to support the rent payments
- Previous rental history, such as a history of evictions or late payments
- Negative references from previous landlords or employers
- A criminal record or history of legal troubles
If your rental application keeps getting rejected, consider reaching out to the landlord or property manager for feedback on how to improve your application.
What can I do if my application is rejected?
If your application is rejected, don't lose hope. Consider the following options:
- Reach out to the landlord or property manager and ask for feedback on why your application was rejected and what you can do to improve your chances in the future
- Keep searching for other rental properties that may be a better fit for you
- If you have poor credit or insufficient income, consider finding a co-signer, such as a family member or friend, who can vouch for your financial stability
- A rental application cover letter writing service, such as Monday & Co., can provide expert assistance in crafting a professional and compelling cover letter that will help you stand out from other applicants
In conclusion, a rental application cover letter is an excellent opportunity to introduce yourself to a prospective landlord and showcase your strengths as a tenant. By following the tips and strategies outlined in this blog, you can increase your chances of securing your dream rental property.
And if you need assistance in writing a standout application, consider reaching out to Monday & Co.'s rental application cover letter writing service.
Get the only rental application cover letter you will ever need
With Monday & Co., you can work with experienced writers who will craft a customised, professional cover letter that highlights your strengths and makes you stand out from other applicants. Monday & Co.'s cover letter service provides access to a writer who will work with you to understand your unique circumstances and create a letter that meets your specific needs.
We offer fast turnaround times (as little as 24 hours!) and affordable pricing, making it a smart investment in your future as a renter. Don't let a poorly written rental application cover letter hold you back from securing your dream rental property any longer. Contact Monday & Co. today to learn more about our rental application cover letter writing service.