The job interview is a rite of passage for everyone from fresh grads to seasoned professionals. Whether you're walking into your first interview or your fiftieth, it's natural to feel a mix of excitement and jitters. How do you prepare? What questions can you expect? And what are the big no-no's? We've got you covered with a one-stop guide filled with all the job interview tips you could ever need.
If this isn't something you need to know right now, then bookmark it for later. We promise it will come in handy one day. And if you happen to know someone in your life that's looking to make a career change, they will love it if you shared these handy job interview tips with them.
How do I prepare for a job interview?
The impression you make in your interview is determined long before you shake hands with the selection panel. Research the company and role, practice common interview questions, and have examples ready to showcase your skills. Don't forget to dress appropriately and arrive early.
What are the 10 most common interview questions and answers?
Here are ten of the most common job interview questions and answers, so you can line up some great answers before you've even walked in the door.
- Tell me about yourself: Briefly discuss your background and why you're a good fit
- Why do you want this job?: Align your career goals with the company's objectives
- What are your strengths?: Mention strengths relevant to the job
- What are your weaknesses?: Be honest but turn it into a learning opportunity
- Why did you leave your last job?: Keep it positive and forward-looking
- Describe a difficult situation and how you handled it: Show problem-solving skills
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?: Align with the company's growth
- What's your dream job?: Relate it to the job you're applying for
- Why should we hire you?: Summarise your skills and how they add value
- Do you have any questions for us?: Always have a thoughtful question ready
What are the 5 hardest interview questions and answers?
When it comes to job interview tips, one of the best pieces of advice we can offer is to prepare for these tricky questions. Having a strong answer ready to go will help you make a great impression.
- What's your biggest failure?: Show what you've learned from it.
- How do you handle stress?: Provide strategies that actually work.
- Tell me about a time you disagreed with your boss: Focus on the resolution.
- How do you handle criticism?: Emphasise openness to growth.
- Why are there gaps in your employment history?: Be honest and explain any mitigating circumstances.
What are 5 tips for a successful job interview?
Here are the 5 key tips to making the right impression.
- Listen carefully
- Use the STAR method for answers (Situation, Task, Action, Result)
- Maintain eye contact
- Be yourself but remain professional
- Follow up with a thank-you note
What are the top 3 interview mistakes?
On the flip side, make sure to avoid these at all costs.
- Being unprepared
- Speaking negatively about past employers
- Not asking any questions at the end
What not to say in an interview?
We'd recommend avoid discussing personal issues, asking about salary too early, and making negative comments about your previous job or colleagues.
Seal the deal with Monday & Co.
Thanks to our job interview tips, you're prepped for the interview - but remember that your first impression starts with your application. That's where Monday & Co. comes in. We'll craft your resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn profile not just to tick boxes but tell a compelling story about who you are. If you're leaving one job for another, we can also write a killer resignation letter for you too!
With us, you're not just another applicant; you're the best candidate for the job. So why leave it to chance? Let Monday & Co. give you the edge you need. If you've enjoyed our job interview tips, be sure to check out our other blog resources.